The "mysterious elixier of life" the Omega-3 fatty acids or the DHA fatty acids belong to the unsaturated fatty acids. Those are essential fatty acids, which means they are not produced by the body itself and therefore must be consumed via nutrition.
The unsaturated fatty acids have shown in various medical examinations to have health promoting factors. Modern science could confirm that eating fish is an essential part of a well-balanced nutrition. The consumptions helps preventing cardiovascular diseases and some kind of cancer.
The long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids only exist in cold water sea fish, wild salmon and plankton. That´s why the salmon is a perfect Omega-3 supplier! The consumed types of fatt varies in saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatt types (Omega or DHA).
The polyunsaturated fatty acids Omega-3 oils oder DHA-fatty acids have shown in various medical examinations their health promoting factors via the following mechanisms:
- The cholesterol lowering effect (LDL-cholesterol, lipoproteins with a low density of triglycerides )
- They clean nerve tracts and their neuronal junctions (synapses)in the brain and enhance their conductivity- the basis for cognitive abilities and memory
- Higher DHA blood levels are significantly correlated with a better mental performance.
- Omega-3 oils have a range of eicosanoids, that can reduce the risk of a heart attack. Therefore a regular consumtion of fish (one-two times a week) compared to a fish-free diet can be considered to have a real positive impact in preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- Wild salmon is a good supplier of vitamin E, as well as vitamin C and betacarotin those belong to the antioxidants which inhibit the development of free radicals and therefore have preventing functions with regard to variuos diseases.
- Furthermore it is known that wild salmon contains 4-5 times the amount of unsaturated fatty acids in 1gramm fat than its cultivated conspecifics.
- Wild salmon is the ideal aliment for everyone, especially jung children as it is very digestible.